From the very start of his campaign – literally, right after he descended the escalator to the gilded lobby of his eponymous building, being surrounded by actors paid to act like fans, Trump made clear what his priorities were when he announced his candidacy.
His now-famous announcement speech hit the same theme several times. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.” and “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
It didn’t matter immigrants are less likely to commit crime than native-born Americans. The fact that, from 1990 to 2013, illegal immigrants rose from 3.5 million to 11.2 million yet violent crime rates dropped 48% nationwide.
Well, he certainly didn’t take too long to action. On Friday, the President signed an executive order that had the following points:
- Blocked Syrian refugee families indefinitely
- “Temporarily” suspended immigration from 7 mostly Muslim countries
- Christians and members of other minority religions would be given preference over Muslims.
- Curiously, did not include Saudi Arabia (where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from), Egypt (very unstable), Lebanon (crawling with Hezbollah) or Turkey (in the aftermath of a coup). Coincidentally, Trump has business interests in these countries.
This created chaos at airports that the administration tried to downplay saying that “only 109” people were detained and that the delays were caused by a Delta computer outage.
A short while after those stories broke, a federal judge blocked the order, saying that you can’t deport people who are legally here – like green-card holders.
We haven’t even gotten to the unconstitutional part. You know, where it says “Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion”. This means that Trump’s favoritism towards Christians is illegal.
Now, if they got to that, I wonder what effect it might have because Trump seems not to care. It seems the DHS in some airports doesn’t care and is detaining and removing people anyway. Trump insists that it’s not a Muslim ban – but any cursory reading shows that Trump seems to be gaslighting again, trying to convince people that the sky is a color other than blue.
This all happened in the middle of what seemed like a screw-up. The administration released a statement on “Remembrance Day” – honoring the Holocaust and failed to actually mention the Jews. Was it a mistake? Apparently not. When asked about it, the administration doubled down.
As I write this, we’ve just had the shooting in a Quebec mosque where at least 5 were killed and many more injured. Conservatives seized on the reports of the shooter yelling “Allahu akbar” (God is great). Turns out that the guy is a white, ultra-right wing nationalist who loves Trump and hates immigrants.
So here we have Trump on immigration…
He proposes a wall that:
- Won’t work. Most illegals come here legally, driving through a border station or flying into an airport and simply overstay their visas.
- Was supposed to be paid for by Mexico
- Will now be paid for by Americans as Trump has requested funds from Congress
- …but then would be paid for by a 20% import tax on Mexican goods..
- …until people realized (in 10 seconds) that it would be American taxpayers paying that tax
- …and it would fight drug smugglers by being 7 feet deep. (Because nobody digs a tunnel 8 feet deep)
- Is proposed while Mexican immigration is at a 40-year-low.
He signs an executive order banning immigrants that is
- Unconstitutional (religious preference)
- Excluding countries where he has business interests
- Excluding the actual countries where terrorists came from (overlaps with the above).
- Ignoring the fact that, over 10 years, an average of 2 Americans are killed per year by Islamic jihadist immigrants, 5 by right-wing terrorists, 9 by all jihadists (including American jihadists), 21 by ARMED TODDLERS, 69 by lawnmowers, 737 by falling out of bed and 11,737 by being shot by another American.
I can’t make this stuff up…